Lockheed Martin, 1 Curie Court, Rockville, Md., 20850, 301-897-6000, is a global security company headquartered in Bethesda, MD., that employs about 136,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services.
At Lockheed Martin, we know that improving our environmental impact isn’t simply a worthy goal; it’s fundamental to our ability to build community confidence and continue to help our customers succeed. Our Go Green program, launched in 2008, has established goals to reduce carbon emissions, water consumption, and waste going to landfills by 25 percent of 2007 levels by 2012. By 2010, our Rockville facility has surpassed these goals and is considered a corporate-wide leader in green initiatives by reducing carbon emissions, water usage and waste to landfill by more than 50 percent in three years.
Highlights of green practices at the Rockville facility include:
- Low-flow fixtures that save 406,000 gallons of water each year.
- Innovative recycling programs (recycling for chip bags, candy wrappers, and office supplies that cannot be recycled with ordinary commingled materials), which have reduced our waste sent to landfills by more than 65 percent.
- 100 percent of the adhesives, sealants, and paints used in the facility are low-emitting, contributing to improved indoor air quality.
- Newly installed air handling units improve the building’s overall efficiency.
- High-efficiency T5 Fixtures, LED task lighting, occupancy sensors and night-time controls reduce annual energy usage by 15 percent.
- Employee engagement initiatives help promote water and energy conservation with signs placed at strategic locations throughout the building including near elevators, refrigerators, and sinks.
- 50 percent of construction waste was recycled or salvaged during building renovations, reducing the total waste sent to landfills.
- Environmentally-friendly and non-toxic cleaning products are used throughout the facility.
- Within a half mile of the building, there are resources that promote a walkable community including housing, daycare facilities, restaurants, and parks.